This is a lovely 1910 character home on a beautiful tree-lined street in one of the city’s most coveted neighbourhoods. It’s also located squarely within the Dickens Elementary catchment area. Setting this home apart is its extraordinary flexibility, sheer excellence of location, and its carefully considered, eclectic and fashionable aesthetic.
The layout is very flexible and can accommodate a range of scenarios. Overall, it’s a great mix of open-plan areas and distinct rooms. Currently the house is setup with 4 bedrooms with plenty of space to add more. There is the potential to have 2 bedrooms in each of the 3 separate suites.
The carefully considered re-design has resulted in a house that can be easily utilized in a variety of ways. It is currently used as three separate suites (each with separate laundry, kitchen etc.). It can also be a large family house on the upper two levels with the large two bedroom revenue suite assisting the mortgage. The layout is extremely flexible.
At the garden level, you’ll find the beautifully built two bedroom suite with its own entrance. The suite is one of the best we’ve seen in East Vancouver, with lovely details including a gas fireplace, engineered hardwood flooring, recessed lighting, separate laundry, etc.
The main floor has a large open-plan living/ dining/ kitchen area that spills out onto a very sunny south facing deck. There is also a bedroom and a large living room that opens into a parlour.
The main floor foyer opens into the living room and the open-plan dining area. The staircase leading upstairs in just off the entranceway too. The current configuration sees this foyer splitting off the main and upper levels as separate living spaces. There is the flexibility to join the two suites without any renovation.
Upstairs you’ll find a large master suite directly off the stairs. This is another open-plan area with yet more creative consideration in its design. The master bedroom faces north with a lovely balcony with excellent views. The master is a very large room with many custom built-ins including a fireplace and media millwork.
Directly off the master is a hallway with extensive built-ins effectively doubling this passage as an enormous walk-in closet. At the end of this space is a living room area which could easily be used as another bedroom. This upper living room has a kitchenette and opens onto another large south-facing deck.
Also on this upper level is an exceptionally large and unique bathroom with a very big walk in shower.
Renovations on this home have been extensive:
- New electrical throughout in 2013
- New garden level 2 bedroom suite with separate entrance and patio in 2013
- New gas fireplaces on every floor
- New decks on main and upper levels including membranes, railings and decking
- Complete landscaping of the front and rear yard 2013 - present
- Restoration of exterior and paint in 2015
- Greenhouse installation 2015
- Interior paint throughout
- Recessed lighting throughout
- New bathroom on upper level with heated river stone floors, Gerberit suspended toilet, custom shower
- New skylights (2012) with automatic black out blinds on upper floor, roof is ten years old
- New eco bamboo floors on upper level
- New kitchenette (2016) on upper floor complete with laundry
- Recently installed Norwegian Jotul wood burning stove in living room area
- Living room and kitchen taken down to the studs in 2014, new insulation, original wood ceiling beams kept and restored.
- New and vintage style Northstar and Kitchen-Aid appliances.
- Several custom made hardwood framed windows installed to complement existing character windows
- Front porch and membrane rebuilt
- Brand new 2 bedroom suite built in 2013
- Studio space with upper suite access and 220 power (2013)
- Large workshop built under the front porch (2013)
Outside you’ll find an extensively landscaped environment professionally designed and installed. There is a range of spaces/ purposes including the lovely greenhouse, raised vegetable boxes, and decorative elements and vignettes throughout.
Utility is also covered with two cedar storage sheds on the property. This is in addition to the considerable storage space under the rear lower deck, and the workshop space under the front veranda.
The overall design was intended to enhance the existing character of the building while bringing mechanical systems up to date, finishing it all off with an eclectic aesthetic that fit well into the surrounding neighbourhood. Inside you’ll find restored vintage elements, untouched patina, and new surfaces and installations that all come together to create what is undeniably a warm and inviting sense of place.
This house features some very unique elements worth mentioning:
- Laundry on all 3 levels
- Gas fireplaces on all 3 levels
- Unique hinged backrests built into the upper south facing deck eliminating the need for loungers
- Unique programmable LED lighting incorporated into the flooring of the upper living room area
- Media built-ins with lighting in the master bedroom
- Wood burning stove in the main floor living room
- Exposed joists and other woodwork throughout the house
- Wainscotting and vintage finishing carpentry throughout
- Vintage style kitchen appliances by Northstar
- Exposed brick chimney in the kitchen of both upper and lower suites
- Beautiful, large custom greenhouse in the rear yard ideal for hosting dinner parties
- 4 outdoor deck spaces and one patio
- Excellent arts/ crafts studio and a workshop accessible from the main suite
- The list goes on and on…
The neighbourhood is described as being “quiet and friendly.” The very popular Charles Dickens school is a short walk away.
This location is half way between Main Street and Commerical Drive, giving you the best of both of these most desirable East Vancouver neighbourhoods. Also within close proximity is the emerging “Fraserhood” commercial area and the Kingsway/ Fraser triangle with its many hyper-fashionable restaurants, shops, and services.
Transit is easy to access and the Windsor bike route is just at the end of the block. For more information, check out the Walkscore tab above.
Overall, this is an excellent home for those with large families, or those looking for great revenue/ mortgage assistance. The sheer flexibility allows for a broad range of scenarios. This home is also located on one of the prettiest streets in East Vancouver, and in one of the most desirable locations in the city as it falls within the Charles Dickens school catchment area. Finally, extensive renovation has created a lovely sense of place.
Come and see us at our open houses, or contact us for a private viewing.
|Address||1020 E 14th Avenue|
|Type of Dwelling||House/Single Family|
|Sub-Area||Mount Pleasant VE|
|Floor Area||2,860 Sq. Ft.|